|Pope Francis meets with Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking (seated) in the Vatican, Nov. 28, 2016|
Photo courtesy: L'Osservatore Romano via Catholic News Agency
Stephen Hawking, the famous British astrophysicist and avowed atheist, participated in this year's annual meeting of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in the Vatican City.
One may wonder how an atheist scientist can participate in the Pope's Academy of Sciences meeting and the conference on "Science and Sustainability."
It needs to be noted that religion or non-religion of a scientist is not a criterion for membership of this Academy, which has 80 members who are renowned scientists whose members are Catholics, Protestants, adherents of other religions, and atheists.
To know more, please read the following:
- Why famed atheist Stephen Hawking is on a pontifical academy (Dec. 2, 2016)
- Pope Francis: Address to Pontifical Academy of Sciences (Nov. 28, 2016)
- The Pontifical Academy of Sciences (Official Website)
- Pontifical Academy of Sciences (Wikipedia)
- Behind the Scenes With the Pope's Secret Science Committee (These are the top-tier researches doing research for the Vatican) (June 16, 2015)