Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lawrence Subrata Howlader Consecrated Auxiliary Bishop of Chittagong

_

Father Lawrence Subrata Howlader, CSC, is being welcomed
before his episcopal consecration at Barisal, Bangladesh


Bishop Patrick D'Rozario, CSC, Bishop of the Diocese of Chittagong
(middle), is consecrating Father Lawrence Subrata
Howlader, CSC (kneeling), as the Auxiliary Bishop of Chittagong


Another scene of the episcopal consecration at Barisal

Bishop Patrick D'Rozario, CSC, (right), presents newly consecrated
Bishop Lawrence Subrata Howlader, CSC, to the congregation
Photos by Father Julius Gomez

Bishop Patrick D'Rozario, CSC, of the Diocese of Chittagong, Bangladesh, consecrated Father Lawrence Subrata Howlader, CSC, as the auxiliary bishop of the same diocese in a solemn Mass concelebrated by Archbishop Joseph Marino (Vatican Nuncio to Bangladesh), Archbishop Paulinus Costa (of the Archdiocese of Dhaka), Bishop Theotonius Gomes, CSC, (Auxiliary Bishop of Dhaka), Bishop Michael Atul D'Rozario, CSC (Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Khulna), Bishop Bijoy D'Cruze, OMI (of the Diocese of Khulna), Bishop Ponen Kubi, CSC (of the Diocese of Mymensingh), and Bishop Gervas Rozario (of the Diocese of Rajshahi) on July 3, 2009. Seventy priests, several dozens of Brothers and Sisters and about 2,000 Catholics from different dioceses of Bangladesh were also in attendance.

Life-sketch of Bishop Lawrence Subrata Howlader, CSC

Born at Barisal town of Bangladesh in 1965, Bishop Howlader completed his schooling at Barisal and Gournadi. He did his Bachelor of Arts from Government B. M. College, Barisal, before entering the Holy Spirit Major Seminary in Dhaka. He was ordained to the priesthood at Barisal on December 31, 1994.

He served in different parishes of the Diocese of Mymensingh. Once he served as the rector of St. Paul Minor Seminary at Jalchatra in the same diocese. In 2004, he received his Licentiate and Master's Degrees in Psychology, Spirituality and Counseling from the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome. Until his nomination as the bishop on May 7, 2009, he was the novice master of the Holy Cross Novitiate at Barisal.

The Diocese of Chittagong

Portuguese Catholics first set foot in Chittagong, called Porto Grande (Great Port) in Portuguese, in 1537. They were Portuguese adventurers and traders. Later Jesuit missionaries followed them and built the first church in 1600. Later, with ups and downs, Christianity spread to different parts of the region, now called the Diocese of Chittagong.

The present Diocese of Chittagong comprises of the civil districts of Chittagong, Cox's Bazar, Bandarban, Rangamati, Khagracchori, Noakhali, Feni, Lakkhipur, Bhola, Patuakhali, Pirojpur, Barisal, Jhalkathi, Borguna, Gopalganj, Madaripur and Shariatpur.

According to The Catholic Directory of Bangladesh 2007, out of a total population of 32,760,000, this diocese had 32,950 Catholics.

Bookmark and Share