|Pope Francis (left, bottom) addressing a joint meeting of the Congress on the Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., on September 24, 2015|
Photo courtesy: AP
Pope Francis, after a week long hectic visit to the USA, returned to the Vatican. On his return flight to Rome, he expressed his expressed his satisfaction, joy and love for the American people.
He arrived in Washington, D.C. on September 22 and met with President Obama.
On September 23, in Washing, D.C., the Pope is given an official welcome at the White House lawn, then he participates in a parade and attends a mid-day prayer with US bishops at St. Matthew's Cathedral. Later he canonizes Father Junipero Serra at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
On September 24 morning Pope Francis gives a speech at the joint meeting of the US Congress in the Capitol Hill, in Washington, D.C. He then pays a visit to St. Patrick's Church. In the afternoon, he arrives in New York and attends an evening prayer at St. Patrick's Cathedral there.
On September 25, he addresses the United Nations General Assembly in New York. Late in the morning, he attends a multi-religious service at the 9/11 Memorial and Museum and World Trade Centre. In the Afternoon, he visits Our Lady, Queen of Angels School in East Harlem of the city. In the afternoon, Pope Francis with his motorcade passes through the New York Central Park. In the evening, he celebrates a Mass for the masses at the Madison Square Garden.
On September 26, PopeFrancis leaves for Philadelphia from New York. He then offers Mass at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul. In the afternoon, he visits and meets with people in the Independence Mall in the same city. In the evening, he attends the Festival of Families at the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
On September 27, Pope Francis meets with the Bishops at Martin's Chapel of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary. These bishops were there attending the World Meeting of Families. In the afternoon, he offers the closing Mass for the World Meeting of Families outside the Philadelphia Art Museum where hundreds of thousands were in attendance. In the evening, he flies to Rome from Philadelphia International Airport.
For details of his visit to the USA and his speeches and photos, please read the following:
- Pope Francis in the United States (Catholic News Agency -- CNA)
- Pope Francis in U.S. (Catholic News Service -- CNS)
- Pope Francis in U.S. (Catholic News Service Live Stream)
- Papal Visit 2015 (U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' website)
- Pope Francis' Visit to U.S. (The New York Times)
- The People's Pope: Francis Comes to America (CNN)
- Pope held private meeting with same-sex couple in U.S. (CNN Exclusive)
- Pope's meeting with Kim Davis not an endorsement, Vatican says (CNN)
- Photos of Pope Francis' Historic Visit to U.S. (TIME)
- Pope Francis' Visit to America, in Pictures (The New York Times)
- Photos: Pope Francis Visits the U.S. (U.S. News)
- Following Francis: Follow-up (National Catholic Reporter)
- Speeches and Homilies of Pope Francis (On his U.S. visit: September 23 - 27, 2015) (U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' website)
- Highlights of Pope Francis' Remarks in the U.S. (The New York Times)
- Pope's Speech at the United Nations General Assembly (New York: September 25, 2015)
- Pope Francis' speech on religious liberty (Philadelphia: September 26, 2015)
- Pope Francis' Remarks to Inmates at Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility (Philadelphia: September 27, 2915)
- Full Transcript of Pope Francis' inflight interview from Philadelphia to Rome (patheos.com)
(Updated on Oct. 3, 2015)