|Pastor Gretta Vosper in front of her "The Legacy Wall" a few years ago|
Photo courtesy: Gretta Vosper website
|Pastor Gretta Vosper in front of her church at West Hill of Scarborough in Toronto|
Photo courtesy: Canadian Press
Yes. According to a Canadian Press report, Gretta Vosper, 57, is a female minister of the United Church of Canada at West Hill area of Scarborough, Toronto, and she has turned into an atheist and vows to fight the Church review whether she is fit to remain as a minister.
Ordained in 1993, she became engaged in this particular church in 1997. Later she became an atheist -- a non-believer of God and the Bible.
Pastor Vosper says that the idea of an interventionist, supernatural being, on which so much church doctrine is based, belongs to an outdated world view. According to her, how you live is more important tha what you believe in.
"I don't believe in ... the god, called God. Using the word gets in the way of sharing what I want to share," she says.
"Is the Bible really the word of God? Was Jesus a person?" she asks. Then she replies, "It's mythology. We build a faith tradition upon it, which shifted to find belief more important than how we lived."
The United Church authority is actively reviewing her case, but she is determined to remain as its pastor as before.
For more on the topic, please read the following:
- Unprecedented United Church probe could lead to removal of non-believing Toronto minister
- Atheist Minister Continues Fight to Remain Ordained in United Church of Canada
- Atheist minister praises the glory of good at Scarborough church
- Colby Cosh: The heretical minister to help her flock evolve out of the need for church
- How do you solve a problem like Gretta Vosper, atheist clergywoman?
- Gretta Vosper: minister, author, atheist (Pastor Vosper's website)
- United Church of Canada