Pope Francis, on April 29, gave a call to Catholics all over the world to engage in politics no matter how 'dirty,' frustrating and fraught with failure it is, reports the Catholic News Service. The Pope said individual Catholics must get involved and "embroiled" in politics because it is one of the "highest forms of charity" since he seeks the common good.
For more on this, read the following:
- Catholics must be active in politics, no matter how 'dirty,' pope says
- Lay Catholics should be involved in politics, Pope says
Almost two years ago, on September 16, 2013, Pope Francis gave a similar call to Catholics to participate actively in politics for the common good. You may read the following for details:
- Pope Francis on the Reason Catholics Should Be Involved in Politics
- Pope calls faithful to pray, participate actively in politics
- Pope Francis Was Telling Catholics to Stay Politically Engaged, But Avoid Turf Battles
- Pope Francis is Correct: A Good Catholic Meddles in Politics
- The Pope is One of the Most Skilled Politicians on Earth
- Pope Francis Is More Than a Politician
- With New Pope, a More Open Catholic Church?
- Pope Francis, Radical Leftist?
- Don't Pick Political Fights With Pope Francis
- The Pope and Politics: Messaging Francis' Hope and Justice
- Will Pope Francis Break the Church?
On more reflection on the issue of the Catholics and Politics, please read the following:
- Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Catholic Church
- The Participation of the Catholics in Political Life (The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith)
- Catholics in Political Life (U.S. Bishops' Conference)
- How are Catholics participate in political life?
- Religion and political affiliation
- Politics: Issues, Politicians and Holy Communion, and Voting (Catholic News Agency)
- Catholics and Politics and the J.F.K. Effect
- Catholics and Politics: The Dynamic Tension Between Faith and Power (A book by Kristin E. Heyes, Mark J. Rozell, and Michael A. Genovese, Editors)
- America's Catholic Moment, and Its New Breed of Catholic Politicians