|Mary Ann Gomes, a chess player and a Woman Grand Master from Kolkata,receives the National Championship trophy at the Velammal 38th National Women Premier Chess Championship -- 2011 in Chennai, India|
Mary Ann Gomes, hailing from a Bangali Catholic family in Kolkata, India, is an accomplished chess player and a Woman Grand Master. Recently she has been nominated to represent India for participation in the 2015 Federation Internationale de Echecs (FIDE) – World Chess Federation – Championship for Women to be held from March 16 to April 17, 2015 at Krasnaya Polyana in Sochi, Russia, reports Isaac Gomes, a member of the Indian Catholic Press Association.
Sixty-four women chess players of different categories (Women’s World Championships 2012-2013, FIDE rating lists, World Junior Championships, Continental Zones, and FIDE President’s nominees) will compete for six rounds in Russia this year.
The first five rounds of matches will consist of two games per round, with the winners progressing to the next round. The sixth and final round will be played over four games and the winner will be declared Women’s World Champion.
As there is no financial sponsorship available for Mary Ann’s participation in Russia, she seeks any amount of voluntary contribution from well-wishers and individuals. She requires about a minimum of US $ 5,000 (Indian Rupees 310,000) for her travel to and from Russia, hotel accommodation, meals, further training and practice under experienced coaches and the like.
Anyone, in India and abroad, willing to make a financial contribution, may contact Mary Ann Gomes at this email: email@example.com
|Mary Ann Gomes with a trophy|
Mary Ann Gomes, presently having the Elo Rating of 2355 for her chess playing and competitive skills, acquired the following achievements in the last decade:
- Best Woman Player in “Grand Europe Golden Sands Open – 2013 (Bulgaria: June 10 – 18)
- Bronze in Commonwealth and South Africa Open Chess Championship (for women) (Port Elizabeth, South Africa: July, 2013)
- Bronze in World Team Chess Championship – 2013 (Astana, Kazakhstan)
- Champion (Hat Trick) at 40th National Premier Women’s Chess Championship – 2013 (Kolkata, India)
- Bronze in Commonwealth Chess Championship (for women) (Chennai, India: November, 2012)
- Champion (Hat Trick) at 39th National Premier Women’s Chess Championship – 2012 (Jalgaon, India)
- Champion (Hat Trick) at 38th National Premier Women’s Chess Championship – 2012 (Chennai, India)
- Best Woman Player in International Grandmaster Chess Tournament – 2011 (Chennai, India: January 17 – 26)
- Bronze in Commonwealth and South Africa Open Chess Championship (South Africa: November, 2008)
- Gold in Asian Junior Chess Championship (for Under-20 Girls) (Chennai, India: December, 2008)
- Silver in 38th Chess Olympiad (for women) (Dresden, Germany: November, 2008)
- Gold in Asian Junior Chess Championship (for Under-20 Girls) (Mumbai, India: December, 2007)
- Bronze in World Youth Chess Championship (for Under-18 Girls) (Georgia: October, 2006)
|Woman Grand Master Mary Ann Gomes receives the International Masters Norm Certificate in Chennai in November, 2011|
Mary Ann Gomes’ father Charles Vincent Gomes and late mother Freda Gomes, grandfather late Francis Gomes and great-grandfather late Shukhlal Gomes have ancestral roots to Atharogram area of Bangladesh. Their original home was at Paka Bari of Mohobbatpur Village, near Bandura, under Hashnabad Catholic Church parish. Presently they belong to St. Patrick's Church parish in Dum Dum area of Kolkata.
|Grand Hotel in Krasnaya Polynaya in Sochi, Russia, where the 2015 FIDE Women's World Championship will be held in March and April|
Photos: At the courtesy of Isaac Gomes, Kolkata