underground train station
Photo (Toronto: June 7, 2011) © Jerome D'Costa
Previously, for many centuries, homosexuality was condemned and, if caught, the perpetrators were punished severely in most of the countries of the world. Some countries, especially in the West, gave recognition to homosexuality as normal sexual behaviour, other countries still condemn the involved persons. Certain countries even today put the homosexuals to death.
Recently, we gave an extensive photo coverage of the 2011 Gay Pride Parade in Toronto to give an idea of the homosexuals and their lifestyle. As more and more countries are giving legal recognition to homosexual or same-sex marriages, one, as ostriches, cannot hide his or her head or eyes in the sand and think the problem will go away. One needs to gain more knowledge on the subject so that he or she can take judicious decision when needed.
Those, who are Roman Catholics, used to think in the past that homosexuality was only present or was a problem with non-Catholics only, but more and more Catholics are now becoming vocal and demanding recognition of their sexual behaviour. In our same photo essay, you can see some Catholic homosexual teachers and students -- male as well female -- are taking part in the public gay parade and placing their demands.
Now let us see what homosexuality is and how different religions look at homosexuals and their sexual behaviour and why, in spite of religious biases the same-sex marriages are being legally allowed in certain countries.
What is Homosexuality?
- What is Homosexuality?
- Timeline of Homosexuality
- Homosexuality in History
- History of Homosexuality
- A History of Homosexuality
- Homosexuality in the Middle Ages
- The Experience of Homosexuality in the Middle Ages
- Homosexuality: Coming to Terms (TIME magazine)
- What Makes People Gay?
- "This is the way God made me" -- A Scientific Examination of Homosexuality and the "Gay Gene"
- Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture
- Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture?
- Nature versus Nurture: Homosexuality's Link to Biology and Society
- Nature Vs. Nurture
- Nature, not Nurture?: New Studies Suggest Homosexuality Has Biological Basis...
- Genetics and Homosexuality: Are People Born Gay? The Biological Basis for Sexual Orientation
- Biology and Sexual Orientation
- Homosexuality: Facts for Teens
- Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation & Youth
- Homosexuality and Religion: An Encyclopedia (a book by Jeffrey S. Siker) (Portions of the book available for reading online)
- Homosexuality & Civilization (a book by Louis Crompton) (Portions of the book available for reading online)
- The Origins and Role of Same-Sex Relations in Human Societies (a book by James Neill) (Portions of the book available for reading online)
- Sociological Control of Homosexuality: A Multi-Nation Comparison (a book edited by Donald J. West and Richard Green) (Portions of this book available for reading online)